Sunday, September 30, 2012

Harvey, Dustin - Chandelier


-Elliptical Chandelier-
I've designed this chandelier after solar system mobiles (that are so often made by elementary students) because I love space, but also because I've always thought that mobiles are rather calm inducing and relaxing objects.  

The chandelier is comprised of eight branching arms set around a center light. In the center and at each end of the arm is a light bulb and a screw-on piece that can hold a globe (ya know, like "planets"). The globes will be made of glass that is stained or patterned while the main tubing and arms are made of light weight stainless steel. The upper set of arms have a diameter of 3', the lower set 2', and each globe can range from 4" - 7" in diameter.  

The target market I had in mind for this piece would be for middle class families and could be placed in childrens rooms or in lower light areas of the house where people relax.  I tried to make this appealing to the thrifty decorator, going with a simple design (the skewed perspective I drew above would disagree, my apologies) and a relatively cheap make.  The glass globes would have a variety of different stains and patterns and would ideally be sold in different styled sets with the base.  I imagine you'd find this in a store such as Target or any other general home furnishing store.  





 





No comments:

Post a Comment